Howard W. Kympton
Chief Operating Officer
SULLIVAN COVE CONSULTANTS, LLC
Severna Park, MD and Washington, DC
Howard Kympton is a well-versed senior executive with a record of leadership excellence within Fortune 500 companies, in smaller, entrepreneurial firms and in diverse Federal government environments. As CEO, COO or General Manager, he had full P&L responsibility for multiple, separate businesses, including multi-million dollar businesses units, concurrent major capital projects, and key operations in dispersed, worldwide locations. In addition to a successful corporate career, he held positions as a senior Corps of Engineers staff officer, with the Staff and Faculty of the US Military Academy; and, as an Assistant Branch Chief, Nuclear Weapons Deployment, Dept. of the Army. Experienced in combining multi-disciplinary, multi-functional organizations into integrated, aligned teams. He has successfully built small businesses from the ground up to profitable operation.
- As the COO of a $200M business, he completed more than $125M in capital improvements to plants, logistics systems, IT systems and technical development centers across the U.S.
- Developed a comprehensive concept of operations and market introduction plan for a Fortune 100 DOD contractor evaluating security applications of a promising emerging technology.
- Successfully evaluated, acquired and seamlessly integrated a $25M European business unit, strategically diversifying its gaining US parent.
- Commercialized an emerging total asset and in transit visibility technology employing multiple communications modes, guiding it through patent award, market introduction, outsourced development and manufacturing, IT systems adaptation and expansion, and multi-market recognition.
- Founded a successful consulting practice with notable expertise in strategic planning, marketing initiatives and business process reengineering, with a varied portfolio of FED and private industry clients.
- Grew a $200M supplier to major consumer product companies worldwide to a $500M turnover in five years through organic growth, selected acquisitions and exclusive, multi-year strategic alliances.
- Oversaw all aspects of P&L for an array of manufacturing and distribution operations over four continents, growing revenues three times the industry average by refocusing sales and global marketing plans toward key accounts.
- In less than six months, reversed three years of declining financial performance in a stalled emerging company, producing sales exceeding budget by $3 million and profit 20% over annual target.
- Led strategic planning and financial restructuring of a premier DOD and commercial naval architecture and marine engineering firm, reversing declining revenues and doubling revenues in two years.
- Structured a DHS program office from concept to full operation and staffed a combined federal/contractor operations team to develop and implement a multi-million dollar Enterprise Architecture data fusion system.
- Organized and managed a multi-agency DHS joint working group for program development oversight and guidance, gaining active participation at senior government levels.
- Representative to senior DHS multi-agency joint working groups, including:
- National Maritime Security Plan development.
- National Transportation System Security Plan.
- DHS/DOD Maritime Domain Awareness Working Groups on Strategy and Plans, Intelligence and Common Operating Picture.
- In several FED roles, coordinated efforts across numerous government and local organizations, requiring comprehensive communications, skilled negotiation and in-depth understanding of associated legislative and regulatory activities.
- Co-authored a first-of-its-kind security sector reform framework adopted by the Dept. of State for comprehensively assessing the state of the maritime and associated sectors in emerging countries
- Through USTDA sponsorship, evaluated the operational, economic, political and environmental impacts of a proposed tsunami warning system for a Pacific island nation.
- Developed, authored and implemented an on-line curriculum in Homeland Security Professional Development targeted at the Continuing Education and Undergraduate sectors and consisting of five core courses and professional certification examinations.
Mr. Kympton has a final Top Secret security clearance from the Department of Defense.